Wednesday, August 25, 2010


a few of my favourite things
dorval island

The memories of my summers spent with my mum and grandparents at their summer home on Dorval Island in the St. Lawrence River in Quebec, Canada are crystal clear. Helping my Nana pick flowers in her huge garden, sitting on my Papa's lap while he read a story to me. He always smelled of Aqua Velva and martinis. We would also go to the dock and find frogs and bugs. A certain scent will cross my path and I am again five years old and grinding coffee in my Nana's grinder or drinking orange juice at her breakfast table or sitting on the dock with my Papa. I remember being spanked once by my Papa at the house. I don't remember what I did wrong, but I remember being really sad that I disappointed him. At their summer home I also had a really cool Playmobil set of the Knights of the Round Table complete with small plates and cutlery. I loved that set. Sometimes all of my cousins would be there. They were all teenagers when I was little so they were, of course, the coolest people alive. Even though these memories are like snapshots, they bring with them such peaceful feelings.

1 comment:

Gramma said...

Wonderful memories. The Island is a special place that only a few have memories of its magic.