Wednesday, September 29, 2010

journey towards wisdom
day 2

Then I took a good look at everything I'd done, looked at all the sweat and hard work. But when I looked, I saw nothing but smoke. Smoke and spitting into the wind. There was nothing to any of it. Nothing.
Ecclesiastes 2:11

My self worth is wrapped up in what I accomplish. On a good day I have done much and feel worthy of praise for my deeds. On a bad day I accomplish little and feel worthless.

Two things are wrong with this: my works, good or bad are not worthy of anything. My deeds, no matter how noble and selfless they are, still come from me, a sinner whose purest intentions are still tainted. My self worth is poorly placed.
Doing good so that I might receive some praise or reward is sin. All that I do should be to His glory. He must be magnified, I, diminished. For only He is worthy of praise and any good that comes from me was first given by Him. All good originates from God. It is all His and to Him credit is due.

My sweat and hard work is purposeless unless I am following God and working towards His goals. Then everything I do is infused with His purpose and glorifies Him.

Where is my self-worth coming from and for whom am I striving to glorify with my work?

No comments: