Monday, February 08, 2010

cultivating virtue
friendship



A Time to Talk

When a friend calls to me from the road
And slows his horse to a meaning walk,
I don't stand still and look around
On all the hills I haven't hoed,
And shout from where I am, What is it?
No, not as there is a time to talk.
I thrust my hoe in the mellow ground,
Blade-end up and five feet tall,
And plod: I go up to the stone wall
For a friendly visit.

Robert Frost

Work will always be there. There will forever be a list of things to do. A hundred tasks call to us, vying for our attention. For me this is a great problem. Even within my family. I am barraged by my list of things to accomplish, finding my self worth in it's completion. But God has another way, as always, a way that is different and better than my own. O, that I were more like Him.

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."
John 15:12-13

Let me begin today by laying down my time, my agenda and my expectations for the day for my friends and family.

God, please help me to see the needs of others and count them as you do, above the mundane things and among the most important. Give me the strength to go against my nature and put others before myself. Help me to realize that every minute given to me is from you and meant to do your work not my own. Amen

No comments: