Monday, April 12, 2010


cultivating virtue

work

Work while you work
Play while you play;
One thing each time.
That is the way.
All that you do.
Do with all your might;
Things done by halves
Are not done right.

McGuffy Primer


"What are you going to be when you grow up?" is a question about work. What is your work in the world going to be? What will be your works? These are not fundamentally questions about jobs and pay, but questions about life. Work is applied effort; it is whatever we put ourselves into, whatever we wxpend our energy on for the sake of accomplishing or achieving something. Work in this fundamental sense is not what we do for a living but what we do with our living.
(Thank you to The Book of Virtues)

This virtue is a struggle for me and each day that we discuss it, read about it, study it...each day my heart burns with conviction. My job as a school teacher, my task as a mother, wife, friend, neighbor, daughter, sister...this is my designated work, given to me by God. Where am I applying my effort? Do I grumble and complain? Yesterday, as we were studying this virtue, I came upon the realization that thankfulness should flow through my veins, gratitude that I am healthy enough in mind and body to work, to teach, to iron clothes, to clean. Thankfulness that we have healthy children for whom I must cook and care for. Gratitude for a house that I must scrub. The ability to do the work laid before us with joy requires a new perspective and with that a change in atitude.
Workers, do what you're told by your earthly masters. And don't just do the minimum that will get you by. Do your best. Work from the heart for your real Master, for God, confident that you'll get paid in full when you come into your inheritance. Keep in mind always that the ultimate Master you're serving is Christ. The sullen servant who does shoddy work will be held responsible. Being a follower of Jesus doesn't cover up bad work.
Colossians 3:23-25



No comments: